Sunday, May 18, 2008

Interview with Shel Israel, Fast Company TV's Global Neighbourhoods

Shel Israel posted an video interview this past week. We chatted about Michael Dell's drive to take Dell's direct business model and extend it using social media and online tools to foster direct connections with customers and others with an interest in the company.

In this "connected era" we also chatted about the value of listening, some of the tools, measurement, and changes impacting communications and marketing.

Frankly, we chatted a lot about why I believe what we are working on at Dell is so important and how it changes the interaction and relationships between business and people....but, of course, only time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The email below is to me from my sister, venting about her very recent experience with purchasing a Dell laptop online. I was going to find info for her to write to the VP Mktg @ Dell but found this webpage first through another website called www.pronetadvertising.com
I would like Dell to know of their customer's frustration, so here's the email. I will check back periodically to see if there is a response.


I'm so incredibly frustrated!!
I ordered Julie a Dell Inspiron 1420. I ordered it online and went through a step by step process. I thought I printed out the description but if I did I don't know where I put it. I received the laptop today and what I thought was going to be pink, was deep blue. She wanted pink. I was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours (I had a few other questions for one of the people I talked to). Each one of them had a middle eastern accent and I had a very difficult time understanding them to answer their questions. By the time I got to the 5th person (at this point I had a case number) I was told they were doing something with the computers and could I call back in 15 minutes, which was 10 minutes before they stopped answering their phones, so if I was put on hold, which had already happened on numerous occasions, she told me to call back tomorrow. I'm just about ready to return the laptop, cancel my order completely and go buy something from a human being that I can speak to and understand. Now it looks as if we won't have a laptop to give her on graduation day. Businesses have become so impersonal.
Sorry, just venting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn

Id be happy to help out and follow up on this. I am very sorry for the experience you have had, as this is not the kind of customer connection we pride ourselves on. I will you need your case number and computer service tag so if you email me at richard underscore binhammer atdelldotcom and reference this blog post, Ill get to work on it.